- This event has passed.
Comcast Cares Day 2018—50+ Military/Veteran Related Projects Nationwide
April 21, 2018
PHILADELPHIA, PA – On Saturday, April 21st, more than 100,000 Comcast NBCUniversal employees and their families, friends, and community partners will participate in the 17th annual Comcast Cares Day, the nation’s largest single-day corporate volunteer effort and a powerful representation of the company’s year-round commitment to community service and supporting the nation’s veterans.
Nearly 10,000 volunteers will lend their time to support veterans’ related projects across more than 50 project sites throughout the country. Comcast NBCUniversal’s employee resource group, VetNet is proud to be leading efforts in communities across the nation to benefit service members, veterans and their families.
“The deepest connections we’ve made with America’s military community have come through the fellowship of Comcast Cares Day. Service is at the heart of our Nation’s military members, and it is at the heart of our Company,” said Carol Eggert, Senior Vice President, Military and Veterans Affairs at Comcast Corporation. “I will be in Los Angeles to support our Blue Star Families, spending Comcast Cares Day with strong and resilient military families who also serve when their military member serves. I’m looking forward to this rewarding and impactful event.”
April is the “Month of the Military Child” and in conjunction with Comcast Cares Day, Comcast NBCUniversal is proud to be in partnership with Blue Star Families to provide a variety of different volunteer opportunities and projects throughout the country.
Throughout the year, Comcast NBCUniversal is committed to supporting organizations that provide assistance to military members, veterans and their families. Since January 2010, through the “Hiring Our Heroes” initiative, Comcast NBCUniversal has hired more than 15,000 members of the military community and veterans. Comcast NBC Universal recently received the Secretary of Defense Freedom Award, the highest honor the Department of Defense awards to employers for support of National Guard and Reserve employees.
Below is a sample of the more than 50 projects involving nearly 10,000 volunteers taking place nationwide this Comcast Cares Day:
- National Guard Drive (Boston, MA) – Volunteers will help put together boxes that will be sent out to deployed members of National Guard units. Activities will range from writing uplifting notes and cards to packing boxes items like extra toothbrushes and toothpaste, snacks and drinks.
- Operation Yellow Ribbon (Voorhees, NJ) – Volunteers will donate and compile care kits for military members overseas as well as create paracord bracelets for emergency use by service personnel, and work on other tasks around the premises that will help provide a warm welcome for troops returning home.
- Blue Star Families (Los Angeles, CA) – Volunteers will assist during a day of carnival type fun for military families and children. They will be running stations of arts and crafts, reading books out loud to children, playing board games, assisting through a military-style boot camp for children, and serving food and drinks.
- Operation Gratitude (Beaverton, OR) – Volunteers will help support “Operation Gratitude” – an organization that supports military members currently serving overseas. Volunteers will create cards for soldiers, make arts and crafts, and help to assemble boxes for larger care packages that will be sent out.
- Operation Support Our Troops (Elmhurst, IL) – Volunteers assemble and pack 400 boxes to be shipped out to military members worldwide. Each box will be filled with supplies requested by military members and include a personalized note from a volunteer.
This year, Comcast Cares Day will surpass one million people in total who have participated in the annual day of service since its inception in 2001. Globally, volunteers will take part in more than 1,000 community improvement projects. Comcast NBCUniversal supports the communities we serve by providing access to technology, relevant digital skills and training, and inspiring volunteerism, service, and leadership. Since 2001, Comcast NBCUniversal has given more than $5 billion in cash and in-kind contributions to support nonprofit organizations and other charitable partners across the country.
About Comcast Corporation
Comcast Corporation (Nasdaq: CMCSA) is a global media and technology company with two primary businesses, Comcast Cable and NBCUniversal. Comcast Cable is one of the nation’s largest video, high-speed internet, and phone providers to residential customers under the Xfinity brand, and also provides these services to businesses. It also provides wireless and security and automation services to residential customers under the Xfinity brand. NBCUniversal operates news, entertainment and sports cable networks, the NBC and Telemundo broadcast networks, television production operations, television station groups, Universal Pictures and Universal Parks and Resorts. Visit comcastcorporation.com for more information.