- This event has passed.
PBS American Veterans Stories
November 1, 2021 - November 16, 2021
PBS SoCal and KCET, Southern California’s flagship PBS stations as well as the home for award-winning, original local content, announced today the debut of a multiplatform initiative in November timed around Veterans Day that will include editorial essays, on-air interstitials and a new slate of broadcast content. The programming begins with today’s premiere of the four-part PBS series AMERICAN VETERAN at 9 p.m. on PBS SoCal and will continue throughout the following four weeks, ending with the PBS SoCal Presenting Station program VOCES: “American Exile” on Tues., Nov. 16 at 10 p.m. on PBS SoCal and Sat., Nov. 20 at 10 p.m. on KCET.
Additionally, a series of on-air interstitials have been filmed locally with Southern California Veterans at Heroes Hall in Costa Mesa listed as follows will air on PBS SoCal and KCET timed to the content mentioned above:
- Justice Eileen Moore (U.S. Army Vietnam Veteran): As a young combat nurse in Vietnam, Justice Moore experienced not only the trauma of war, but its aftermath on the men and women who were there. This prompted her to create programs in the courts to support them.
- Andrea Marr (U.S. Naval Academy/USS Nimitz CVAN-68): One of a small group of women at the Academy, Marr fought for her right to attend and went on to lead her team with honor. She now serves her city of Costa Mesa as a Councilmember.
- Nick Berardino (U.S. Marine Corps Vietnam Veteran): A machine gunner in the special landing forces, he witnessed many of the most brutal parts of the war. The founder of Heroes Hall, Berardino strives to teach the lesson that ‘freedom isn’t free.’
- Jose Antonio Guevera (U.S. Marine Corps): Although only a high school freshman during 9/11, that event spurred Jose to enlist in the Marines upon graduation. He was ultimately deployed to Iraq. Guevera understands and now supports veterans struggling with the transition to civilian life.
- Robert “Bobby” McDonald (U.S. Navy Vietnam Veteran): With three uncles and a father who were Buffalo Soldiers, McDonald grew up in a military atmosphere. He enlisted in the Navy and was stationed aboard the USS Tripoli LPH-10. Bobby tirelessly advocates for veterans on the local and national level.