May kicks off Military Appreciation Month, and the USO will continue its mission delivery to the military and their families. The USO has been on the front lines providing for the emergent needs of the Armed Forces during the COVID-19 pandemic. The USO’s mission of strengthening service members by keeping them connected to family, home and country is more critical than ever before.
The USO has proudly provided support to almost 150,000 service men and women and their families in just six weeks throughout the Western States through virtual programming, front-line support and distanced programming to quarantined isolated service members and family.
The USO has quickly mobilized to transition to military virtual programming including story-time for families, fun classes for kids, health and wellness for spouses and service members, and live engagements with celebrities and athletes. During the month of May service members in Alaska, California, Arizona and globally will have engagement with leading entertainers and celebrities including Eli Manning, Ciara, Trace Adkins, Ne-Yo, Sarah Silverman, Craig Robinson and more.
The USO during COVID – 19 has activated its small team to facilitate:
- Weekly deliveries to essential military personnel throughout the region of supplies of food and toiletries
- Care package deliveries to quarantined military, including units returning from deployment
- Morale boosting and meal deliveries to National Guardsmen volunteering at local food banks, field hospitals and in the community
- Providing support to the USNS Mercy docked at the Port of Los Angeles with morale boosting activities and meal donations
During Military Appreciation Month activities are increasing, upcoming USO support events throughout the West Coast include:
- USO Alaska:
- May 8: Eielson AFB is hosting a spouse spa bag and USO mask give away to celebrate Military Spouse Appreciation Day. Visit Alaska.USO.org to donate and learn more about coming events.
- COVID – 19 impact #’s to date: 59,978
- USO Arizona:
- May 9: MilSpouse Appreciation Luncheon Serving 150 with lunch and spa bags at Davis-Monthan AFB. Visit Arizona.USO.org to donate and learn more about coming events.
- COVID – 19 impact #’s to date: 54,443
- Bob Hope USO:
- May 13, 20 and 27: Weekly Wednesday Lunch for USNS Mercy serving local eats to the Sailors and Marines providing ground support and security for the USNS Mercy
- May 20: LAAFB Spouse Appreciation Event hosting virtual event for spouse appreciation month complete with grab bags and entertainment. Visit BobHope.USO.org to donate and learn more about upcoming events.
- COVID – 19 impact #’s to date: 13,937
- USO Nevada:
- May 8 and 15: May Lunch on the USO and Dinner on the USO which is intended for families at Creech and Nellis Air Force Bases. Visit Nevada.USO.org to donate and learn more about upcoming events.
- COVID – 19 impact #’s to date: 11,178
- Northern California:
- May 12: Providing over 900 military medical staff at David Grant Hospital at Travis AFB with sweet treats in honor of Nurses Appreciation Week and their support during COVID-19
- May 15: Distributing Spouse Appreciation kits to over 200 military spouses at Beale and Travis Air Force Bases. Visit NorthernCalifornia.USO.org to donate and learn more about upcoming events.
- COVID – 19 impact #s to date: 4,600
- USO San Diego:
- May 8: Military Spouse Appreciation Day Take the Night Off Dinner Kits and Swag Bag Giveaway at USO Liberty Station and USO Camp Pendleton
- May 16: Armed Forces Day USO and San Diego Padres Mobile Drive-Through Food Distribution at Petco Park. Visit SanDiego.USO.org to donate and learn more about coming events.
- COVID – 19 impact #’s to date: 26,840
To learn more about USO West’s COVID-19 response, upcoming donations, Military Appreciation Month Activations and more visit BobHope.USO.org.
About the USO:
The USO strengthens America’s military service members by keeping them connected to family, home and country, throughout their service to the nation. At hundreds of locations worldwide, we are united in our commitment to connect our service members and their families through countless acts of caring, comfort and support. The USO is a private nonprofit organization, not a government agency. Our programs and entertainment tours are made possible by the American people, support of our corporate partners and the dedication of our volunteers and staff. To join us in this important mission, and to learn more about the USO, visit USO.org or at Facebook, Twitter and Instagram.